ICANN Moderator: Gisella Gruber-White 03-22-14/3:30 am Confirmation # 4852363 Page 1

Transcription ICANN Singapore Update on Translation and Transliteration Contact Info Saturday 22 March 2014

Note: The following is the output of transcribing from an audio. Although the transcription is largely accurate, in some cases it is incomplete or inaccurate due to inaudible passages or transcription errors. It is posted as an aid to understanding the proceedings at the meeting, but should not be treated as an authoritative record.

On page: http://gnso.icann.org/en/calendar/#mar

The recordings and transcriptions of the calls are posted on the GNSO Master Calendar page

Jonathan Robinson: Within translation, transliteration.	
Man:	Oh.
Jonathan Robinso	n:first yes. We swapped the scheduled so we've got Chris and Rudy here.
Man:	Welcome.
((Crosstalk))	
Man:	Okay.
Man:	Yes I'll get the brief from
((Crosstalk))	
Jonathan Robinso	on: Okay so I'm going to welcome the co-chairs of the translation, transliteration of contact information PDP Working Group. That's Chris Dillon on my right and Rudy Dunsnick over there. So welcome Chris and Rudy and they've got a couple of slides to go through and then a Q&A as further the

way which we've handled these things in the past

ICANN Moderator: Gisella Gruber-White 03-22-14/3:30 am Confirmation # 4852363 Page 2

Over to you Chris and Rudy.

Chris Dillon:

Thank you very much. Okay this is actually quite a small update. We - did an update I think about a month ago.

But, you know, I can use the opportunity just to go through what we're doing especially for people who, you know, perhaps missed that last update.

So, you know, we've since September we have been drafting a charter on this area of translation of transliteration, contact information.

We're now running the working group. Can we move forward? So and we're really addressing these two questions. So whether it is desirable -- that's a key word -- whether it's desirable to translate contact information to a single common language of a translate contact information to a single common script and who should decide who should bear the burden of transforming was the virtual town's way of saying that.

And we've been meeting weekly about that. Can we move forward through the - oh thank you.

There are various related activities. And I'm going to skip this just in interest of brevity. If you have a look at our Wiki you can see all of the related activities going on.

One of the fundamental things that we did was we tried to break those two main questions down into several smaller questions and also look at how various purposes and stakeholders were effected. This ends up being a rather interesting matrix. Can we continue through the - yes okay. Okay about - that's good. Thank you very much.

Then this is probably one of the most important things I want to say.

ICANN

Moderator: Gisella Gruber-White 03-22-14/3:30 am

Confirmation # 4852363

Page 3

We sent out letters asking for comments on what we were doing from SOs

and ACs. And we had response form the EU, Thailand, China, NCSG, ALAC.

We haven't actually discussed all of these. But we've had some amounts of

input but we actually extended the deadline for the responses because we

want to get as much input as possible.

So the deadline is now the end of this month and that's something I really

want to stress. So if you can encourage other people to respond we would be

very grateful for that.

And the only other thing I want to point out I think is the Wiki because we

have made a tremendous effort to put everything in there in a very logical

way so that people who haven't got the time to listen to a thing called - and all

the rest of it can actually look and see where we are with this. Thank you.

Rudy would you like to add anything got...

Rudy Dunsnick:

Well I would first - I want to thank Chris for co-chairing this quite difficult

working group as we are expecting a lot from around us having inputting the

work we are doing.

One aspect you have to add to the input we received we received a quite

huge input from ALAC that we still have to go to.

They just confirmed and voted on at the comments that they announced was

they were giving to us it's very helpful.

We are still expecting other inputs in order to be able to come forward with

the first idea of recommendation as it is an environment where we see that

man other working groups are really working on the definition of and eventual

new model of contact information we have the audience on so that it's

influencing also the way we have to look into this problem.

And all the input you can give to us is very important and valuable.

Jonathan Robinson: Great, thanks both. I did see a couple of questions. I think I had Maria,

James and now Alan as well and I'm sorry (Jim).

Maria Farrell: It's Maria here. Hello Chris, long time no see. And I've got two questions for

you, one quick one. And you said the end of the month is when input is now

extended to.

Chris Dillon: Yes.

Maria Farrell: Is that the end of March?

Chris Dillon: Yes.

Maria Farrell: Okay thank you very much. Same question and maybe putting you on the

spot because I'm a bit late to this party but where or when or how has the - or is the calculus being done of who benefits from translation and transliteration

and who bares the cost and what is the relationship between are they

different parties and what is the relationship?

Chris Dillon: That you can actually watch that crunching going on in our Wiki. We are

starting. You can see the beginnings of it as we discuss various input but

really just starting it. I mean watch the Wiki and you'll see it all come together

in a sort of hierarch.

Jonathan Robinson: Thanks Maria. I've got James next.

James Bladel: Thank you Jonathan. And appreciate your - this is James Bladel from North

American Registrars and I appreciate the update.

My concern is that perhaps that registrars are not as aware of this issue and this work and your report as perhaps they should be particularly just say let's say mass market type of registrars.

And so my question is is there anything that can be done to reach out to them directly particularly given the new RAA requirements to verify information that's provided in Whois given that it may be different than the language that the registrar speaks or is even enforced in their registration agreement or now that we're talking about accredited privacy and proxy providers it could be a third language involved by that service provider.

So I'm just - I'm curious as to if you feel like you're getting enough interaction with registrars or do you need more feedback on these issues or where do you think we need to go with that?

Chris Dillon:

We have had some input from them. But, you know, as with other groups, you know, we would certainly welcome more.

James Bladel:

Do you think that it - I mean because this is where the information is collected. So do you think that perhaps I mean one idea might be to have some direct interaction with the Registrar Stakeholder Group and make sure that the - because I think that this is an important subject and we need to make sure that it's compatible with what's going on in the industry?

Chris Dillon:

There is already some interaction with them. But, you know, as I said, you know, we welcome more.

Rudy Dunsnick:

But we have a session on Monday morning quite early...

Chris Dillon:

Yes.

Rudy Dunsnick:

...at 7:30. You're invited to come and answer the questions that we have

been putting on the letter that we send out.

So it's good to have more and more input because we have to validate which direction would be the best direction to go.

James Bladel: Thank you. And I just want to emphasize this may be a situation where

instead of leading a horse to water and hoping they drink that you may actually have to dunk the horse's head under the water for a little while.

Chris Dillon: So James are you suggesting these guys come to the registrar meeting...

((Crosstalk))

James Bladel: Oh yes, I think that's where I'm going with it. Yes we may need some

special...

((Crosstalk))

James Bladel: ...hand holding.

Chris Dillon: So (unintelligible) with Michele or who - Rudy or - okay so you guys are

good? Okay that's great.

Man: We'll see if we have time this - maybe in this week. We'll try and take - maybe

you can come over and do a (unintelligible) on this -- something like that.

Jonathan Robinson: Okay we - we're up against this on time. I've - (Amr)? I've got Alan,

Ching, (Amr) and (Peter).

Alan: Thank you. I'm going to ask what may sound like a dumb question but I've

asked it of a number of people and gotten different answers.

What's the default if we don't do translation or - and/or transliteration in a world where registries are being done collecting where the registration

ICANN Moderator: Gisella Gruber-White 03-22-14/3:30 am Confirmation # 4852363

Page 7

information is being collected in internationalized scripts and we have the seven bit ASCII Whois?

Chris Dillon:

I haven't guite understood that. So in the present - so I think what we're thinking of more is would be a replacement for Whois that was collecting within the system this data.

Now if there were no transformation, no transliteration or translation then it would just mean that, you know, at the moment perhaps a lot of data from non-Roman script countries China and India, you know, we get read it because it's in ASCII.

But under that system without translation or transliteration you wouldn't be able to read that. You wouldn't know what it was.

Alan:

That I guess was the point that in today's world you have to do something or you can't satisfy the RAA. So your answer is you're looking at the situation once we do have a transformed Whois database which can handle the original scripts?

Chris Dillon:

Yes.

Alan:

Thank you.

Jonathan Robinson: Thanks Alan. I've got Ching next.

Ching Chiao:

Thank you Jonathan, Ching speaking. Thanks Chris and Rudy for the update and as you have done so the last time in the council monthly call.

I have some quick questions and also some of the updates.

ICANN Moderator: Gisella Gruber-White

03-22-14/3:30 am

Confirmation # 4852363

Page 8

The registry, some members of the registry are still working on providing the -

I mean the answers to surveys. And we are hoping that this work can be

done by the end of - by the deadline.

But one key issue here is that I mean I'm going to be very straightforward

here.

But it seem to us that the questions being asked as whether it is mandatory to

translate or transliterate the registration information to a single common

languages.

That's kind of a big question and it's a to me personally it's a fuzzy question.

Because once we have done one for example a single language that we

suppose this English what if a government from other - I mean languages

they would like to request another, you know, on wave of efforts that needs to

be done? That's leave us in a question mark.

But I truly understand and appreciate that - I mean the effort that's been done

here in this working group is trying to get potentially non-English registration

record to be translated and - or transliterated into, you know, English ASCII.

But the question are still in the area that what if other language require us to

do so?

Yes.

That's my first - is that the only thing we're doing in the working group? I'm -

because - no because I - is it only from the other languages to English,

English to ASCII sorry?

Chris Dillon: Usually most of the input has been talking about translation into English and

transliteration into the Roman alphabet...

Ching Chiao:

Chris Dillon:

But with a little bit of talk about other languages but most of the time it's

English.

Ching Chiao:

Great. So I'm got - not going to seek for a - I mean the exact answer here.

But I'm just pointing out some potential and the big issue here.

Rudy Dunsnick:

Well as we discussed in the last call of our Working Group and we have put some samples on the table just like in my country in Belgium we have three official languages.

So what if the government decides to have in three languages? But we yet don't have an answer for that because when we looked into the way we have to draft a charter we didn't have that in mind.

So we have to rethink a little bit how can we adapt what we have to do with what comes up to us? It's not that easy just to think that's the cut-off. It requires a lot of work still.

Ching Chiao:

Right. And thanks for that. I have to turn the other - I mean second question I'm going to cut it off there is that from my understanding is that this Working Group only deals with the translation and the transliteration part.

It does not deal with when you translate it or transliterate it Whois you don't really manage the accuracy.

The accuracy part is managed by the EWG. Is that there's is a boundary out and you collaborate?

Chris Dillon:

So sorry (unintelligible). We have considered to some extent validation. There was a contribution very recently saying that the validation may be easier in the original language, not want for think of being translated or transliterated but that's as far as it goes I think.

Jonathan Robinson: Okay thanks Ching. I've got (Amir) next and then (Peter) and then we'll call this session (unintelligible).

(Amr):

Thanks. This is (Amr). I just wanted to address James's question from earlier and just reassure him yes we really would like the registrars to get more involved in this Working Group.

Because even during the discussions we've been having on Working Group calls it has come up on numerous occasions where we through that registrar inputs would be a really good idea in the conversation.

And please do make sure to send in comments in response to the questions that the Working Group is asking. That would also be really helpful.

You guys were very involved in the drafting of the charter. And being involved now would be really helpful as well.

I also wanted to point out that this Working Group is supposed to be keeping a close eye on the work of the Expert Working Group as well as the new Expert Working Group on the internationalized registration data services.

So this is another Expert Working Group working in parallel. And Jim Galvin is chairing that working group that the new EWG. And he's part of the translation, transliteration group. And so we have a good connect with them as well.

And that will hopefully help us in help the Working Group reach some of the determinations of how internationalized contact data might be displayed in the Whois. Thanks.

Jonathan Robinson: We have been working very closely together. But thanks Chris. Thanks (Amr). (Peter)?

ICANN Moderator: Gisella Gruber-White

03-22-14/3:30 am

Confirmation # 4852363

Page 11

(Peter):

Just add shortly that I'm also in the Working Group obviously.

It's important to have the possibility to have the translation and transliteration but also to try to find a solution that is not - I mean when we discuss this it's very easy to extent of the problem.

So we have to find a solution that is clear and can be workable in an easy way throughout the world.

And I would just add to you thanks for inviting to you to a meeting during this council. We have actually discussed to the possibilities to sit down with the different kind of interest groups during it. But it turned out that the agenda so generally already fully booked.

So came up if you have like 15 or 20 minutes extra it's good to be able to discuss it directly with you.

Man:

Indeed.

Jonathan Robinson: Okay great. Thanks (Peter). I think we've got a time constraint. So we'll probably call it a day there.

Thanks to both of you Chris and Rudy for your contributions and thanks for the questions to the people here.

We've got - we'll draw a line. They can close the recording at that point.

END